The European Commission has asked EFSA to establish guidelines to assist applicants in the preparation and submission of applications for the safety evaluation of food enzymes.
This mandate arises from the Regulation (EC) No 1331/2008 on a common authorisation procedure for food additives, food enzymes and food flavourings which entered into force on the 20 January 2009.
In response to this mandate the Scientific Panel Scientific Panel on Food Contact Material, Enzymes, Flavourings and Processing Aids (CEF) has prepared a guidance document laying out the format of an application and listing the administrative and technical data required, and the range of toxicological tests generally required for the safety assessment of a food enzyme.
In line with EFSA’s policy on openness and transparency and in order for EFSA to receive comments from the scientific community and stakeholders, EFSA has launched a public consultation on the draft document developed by CEF Panel.
Interested parties are invited to submit written comments by 08 June 2009, 17:00 CET. Please use exclusively the electronic template provided with the documents to submit comments and refer to the line number. Please note that comments submitted by e-mail or by post cannot be taken into account and that a submission will not be considered if it is:
- submitted after the deadline set out in the call
- presented in any form other than what is provided for in the instructions and template
- not related to the contents of the document
- contains complaints against institutions, personal accusations, irrelevant or offensive statements or material
- is related to policy or risk management aspects, which is out of the scope of EFSA's activity.
EFSA will assess all comments from interested parties which are submitted in line with the criteria above. The comments will be further considered by the CEF Panel and taken into consideration if found to be relevant.