Overview and procedure
EFSA assesses the scientific basis of nutrition and health claims submitted for authorisation in the EU. Work in the area of nutrition related to applications also includes the evaluation of infant formulae and food allergens. The European Commission and Member States then decide whether to grant authorisation.
In the case of health claims applications are submitted to the national competent authority of a Member State. This includes applications for authorisation of a new health claim or for the modification of an existing authorisation. The European Commission (EC) receives applications for infant formulae and food allergens.
The competent authority or the EC pass on the application and any supplementary information to EFSA, which carries out the scientific evaluation.
- Health claims applications procedure ‐ an overview
- Novel foods applications procedure as of 27 March 2021 – an overview
- Traditional foods notification-application procedure as of 27 March 2021 – an overview
- Infant formulae applications procedure ‐ an overview
- Food allergies applications procedure ‐ an overview
- Nutrient sources added to food applications procedure ‐ an overview