One of EFSA’s key tasks is to identify and characterise emerging risks in the field of food and feed safety. In recent years, EFSA has established its capacities for emerging risk identification including:
- Developing a methodological framework
- Implementing operational processes for emerging risk identification
- Identifying and assessing selected sources of information
- Developing and testing tools to collect and filter relevant information and
- Consolidating networks for sharing information
Each year EFSA publishes a report detailing its strategy and activities on emerging risks in food and feed.
Emerging risk identification is a complex process requiring broad expertise and close cooperation with Member States, stakeholders, EU and international agencies. EFSA identified effective networking as a key step in increasing the effectiveness of emerging risk identification. Dedicated networks provide the structures needed to exchange experience, methods, data and evaluation of emerging issues.