EFSA is governed by a Management Board whose members are mandated to act in the public interest.
- The board ensures that the Authority functions effectively and efficiently, delivers its mandate as defined in its founding Regulation and meets the expectations of European and national institutions, stakeholders and the public.
- The board has 15 members with a wide range of expertise related to the food chain but do not represent a government, organisation or sector. Four members have a background in organisations representing consumers and other interests in the food chain. The European Commission is also represented.
- Members are appointed by the Council of the European Union – after consulting the European Parliament – from a shortlist drawn up by the European Commission following an open call for expressions of interest.
- The Board’s decisions are taken by a majority of its members.
The board’s key tasks are:
- To establish EFSA’s budget and work programmes and monitor their implementation
- To appoint the Executive Director and members of the Scientific Committee and the Scientific Panels
- To ensure that EFSA’s priorities are in line with its mandate and key missions
- To ensure appropriate financial management and accountability.
Follow the Management Board!
- All Management Board meetings are open to the public and can be followed on demand via webcast.
- All relevant documents are also posted on the website prior to meetings.
- EFSA’s Executive Director, currently Bernhard Url (appointed in May 2014), is the legal representative of the Authority. He is responsible for all operational matters, staffing issues and drawing up the annual work programme in consultation with the European Commission, European Parliament and EU Member States. The Executive Director is appointed by EFSA's Management Board and can be removed from office by a majority vote of the board.
- Regulation (EU) 2019/1381 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 20 June 2019 on the transparency and sustainability of the EU risk assessment in the food chain
- EFSA Founding Regulation: European Parliament and Council Regulation 178/2002
- Founding Regulation: Amendment regarding the names and areas of competence of EFSA’s scientific panels
- Rules of procedure of the Management Board
- Code of Conduct of the EFSA Management Board
- EFSA's accounts
- EFSA's budgets
- List of contractors