Scientific Committee and Panel renewals
Renewal of the Scientific Committee and eight Scientific Panels
On 9 April 2014, EFSA launched a call to renew membership of its Scientific Committee and eight of its ten Scientific Panels. The call is addressed to scientists who wish to be considered for membership of the Scientific Committee and the following Scientific Panels:
- Additives and products or substances used in animal feed (FEEDAP)
- Animal health and welfare (AHAW)
- Biological hazards (BIOHAZ)
- Contaminants in the food chain (CONTAM)
- Dietetic products, nutrition and allergies (NDA)
- Genetically modified organisms (GMO)
- Plant health (PLH)
- Plant protection products and their residues (PPR)
The current members of the Scientific Committee and the above-mentioned Scientific Panels are serving a three-year term of office that is due to expire in mid-2015. The new members will be appointed for the following three-year term starting in July 2015.
Experts' work will be visible to the scientific community through the EFSA Journal, indexed in several key bibliographic databases.
The role of EFSA and its Panel Members
EFSA is the European Union’s scientific risk assessment body on food and feed safety, nutrition, animal health and welfare, and plant health and protection, tackling issues all along the food chain. The Authority performs environmental risk assessments of genetically modified crops, pesticides, feed additives, and plant pests.
Its Scientific Committee and Panels consist of independent scientists from universities, research institutions and national food safety authorities. They deliver high-quality scientific advice for Europe’s decision-makers to act on and protect consumers, animals and plants.
EFSA's scientific work is published on the EFSA Journal which has been accepted for indexation by leading bibliographic databases.
EFSA’s Scientific Committee and Panels
- EFSA’s Scientific Panels cover the areas of: plant health; GMOs; food additives and nutrient sources; food contact materials, enzymes and flavourings; feedstuffs; animal health and welfare; plant protection; contaminants in the food chain; biological hazards; dietetic products, allergies, novel foods and nutrition.
- Experts can sit on EFSA's Scientific Committee and Panels for a three year mandate. The mandate for the current Scientific Committee and Panels – with the exception of the Panel on Food Additives and Nutrient Sources Added to Food (ANS) and the Panel on Food Contact Materials, Enzymes and Flavourings (CEF) – runs from mid-2012 to mid-2015. The mandate for the next ANS Panel and the next CEF Panel will run from mid-2014 to mid-2017.
- If not appointed, experts can be placed on a reserve list for vacancies on the Panels.
- Experts are selected through an open and transparent procedure, based on proven scientific excellence and independence.