This call aims to support transnational research projects (3-years duration) addressing one or more of the three (non-exclusive) themes below:
- THEME 1 – Knowledge for identifying priority conservation areas, establishing effective and resilient ecological networks, enhancing species-based protection and preserving genetic diversity
- THEME 2 – Multiple benefits and costs of biodiversity and ecosystem protection: synergies and trade-offs
THEME 3 – Effective management and equitable governance to deliver bold conservation outcome
Projects combining aspects from several themes are encouraged. This call is focused on the protection of biodiversity in the wild. This does not, for example, include efforts for restoration of habitats and species, or ex-situ conservation.
The call covers all environments, i.e. terrestrial, freshwater and marine. It also covers research on biodiversity conservation in the Outermost Regions (ORs) and Overseas Countries and Territories (OCTs) of the EU.
Research teams will be invited to form transnational research consortia with eligible partners from minimum 3 countries participating in the call (including minimum two from EU Member States or EU Associated Countries).
Proposals have to be exclusively written in English.
The research proposals will be evaluated across the following criteria:
- At step 1 (pre-proposal stage): Fit to the scope of the call, novelty of the research and expected society/policy impact;
- At step 2 (full proposal stage): Scientific Excellence, quality and efficiency of the implementation and expected society/policy impact (including approach to stakeholder engagement).
45 Funding Organisations from 33 countries are joining this call and have reserved – together with the European Commission* – a total amount of over 40M€: Austria, Belgium, Brazil**, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Denmark***, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy (incl. the Autonomous Province of Bolzano/Bozen***), Latvia, Lithuania, Moldova, Morocco, Norway, Poland, Portugal (incl. the Azores), Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, The Netherlands, Tunisia and Turkey.
* Please note that co-funding by the European Commission (and possibly other funders) is pending the signature of a Grant Agreement with the European Commission
** The following Brazilian States will participate in the call, with the support of CONFAP: Amazonas, Bahia, Ceará, Espírito Santo, Goiás, Mato Grosso do Sul, Maranhão, Paraíba, Paraná, Rio de Janeiro, Rio Grande do Sul, Rondônia, Santa Catarina. In addition, at the federal level, CNPq will participate in the call.
*** Participation is pending formal approval
Please note that each research Partner in a project must comply with the eligibility criteria and rules of its funding organisation.
A two-step process will apply, with a mandatory submission of pre-proposals at the first step and submission of full proposals at the second step, via an Electronic Proposal Submission System (EPSS). The link to the EPSS will be available soon on the BiodivERsA website.
- Launch of the call: Friday 01 October 2021
- Deadline for pre-proposals submission (mandatory): Tuesday 30 November 2021, 15:00 CET (local time in Brussels)
- Deadline for full-proposals submission: Thursday 14 April 2022, 15:00 CEST (local time in Brussels)
Make sure to consult the complete announcement of opportunities and all supporting documents on the BiodivERsA website.
Please make sure to consult the Call Documents.