Approximate launch date:
- Ref. NP/EFSA/FEED/2021/01
- Budget: 50.000 €
- Approximate launch date: end of September
- Deadline to register interest: 21/09/2021
- Background: Microorganisms, genetically modified or not, may be used in the food chain as active agents or as production strains of substances of interest. For products based on or produced by microorganisms, the microorganism/s subject to the application for authorisation need/s to be characterised. In this regard, EFSA has introduced the use of Whole Genome Sequence (WGS) and WGS-based data analysis for the microorganism’s identification, characterisation, and safety assessment. WGS analysis is complex and may require validation. This validation may only be done redoing the analysis. The aim of this procurement procedure is to support EFSA in the re-analysis and validation of WGS data submitted in the context of an application. Moreover, expert assistance is requested in the development and implementation of three standardised pipelines to analyse in-house WGS data from bacteria, yeasts/filamentous fungi and viruses, respectively.
- Objectives: Analysis of WGS data (i.e. sequencing data in FASTQ or similar format and/or assembled sequences in FASTA format) provided in the context of applications for regulated products dealing with microorganisms. At least the sequence analysis of the following microorganisms should be covered: bacteria; yeasts/filamentous fungi and viruses. Preparatory work for the development and implementation of three pipelines (bacteria, yeasts/filamentous fungi and viruses) for the analysis of WGS data.
- Selection criteria – technical and professional capacity: Tenderers must be an organisation from an EU Member State (MS) formally appointed by the MS or the European Commission (EC) as responsible for (part of) the risk assessment of regulated products involving microorganisms. Additional selection criteria will be defined in the tender specifications.
If you are interested in this procedure please send an email within the deadline to EFSAprocurement [at] efsa.europa.eu quoting the reference of the procedure and specifying the following:
- your name/organisation’s name and address;
- whether you participate as a physical person or an organisation/private company.