EFSA Info session on Applications – Food Enzymes – Technical meeting with Stakeholders
On 3 February 2016, EFSA met stakeholders to present and explain the draft EFSA statement on the refinement of exposure estimates for food enzymes applications and illustrated its use by examples. Sixty-seven participants, including food enzymes applicants, industry associations, consultants, national competent authorities and representatives from consumers organisation, met with EFSA staff, EFSA experts from the Panel on Food Contact Materials, Enzymes, Flavourings and Processing Aids (CEF) and representatives of the European Commission.
The event was organised in the framework of the “EFSA Info Sessions on Applications” aimed at increasing regular interaction and exchange of views with the EFSA’s stakeholders.
After a general overview of the food enzyme applications, the following main topics were discussed:
- EFSA principles and tools related to risk assessment of food enzymes;
- Available methodology for food exposure assessment;
- Draft statement of EFSA on the refinement of exposure estimates and examples of its use;
- Challenges in estimation of exposure to food enzymes;
- Possibilities to link the enzyme concentration data and consumption data: type of data provided in the dossier, type of data needed for the risk assessment.
Overall, participants responded positively to the event. They considered the meeting as an important opportunity to enhance constructive dialogue and increase mutual understanding on different aspects that are necessary for estimating dietary exposure to food enzymes.
The agenda and the presentations of the technical meeting are available below.