Emerging risk identification is a complex process requiring broad expertise and close cooperation with Member States, stakeholders, and EU and international agencies. Dedicated networks provide the structures needed to exchange experience, methods and data and to assess emerging issues.
Each year EFSA publishes a report detailing its strategy and activities on emerging risks in food and feed.
In recent years, EFSA has taken a number of practical steps to assist with the identification of emerging risks, including:
- Developing a methodological framework.
- Implementing operational processes for emerging risk identification.
- Identifying and assessing selected sources of information.
- Developing and testing tools to collect and filter relevant information.
- Event report on the EFSA Session organised under the International Association for Food Protection (IAFP) 2017 European Symposium on food safety
- Testing a text mining tool for emerging risk identification
- Development and testing of the media monitoring tool MedISys for plant health threats
- Testing a procedure for the identification of emerging chemical risks in the food chain
- Review and analysis of occurrence, exposure and toxicity of cyanobacteria toxins in food
- Identification of emerging risks: an appraisal of the procedure trialled by EFSA and the way forward
- A systematic procedure for the identification of emerging chemical risks in the food and feed chain
- Drivers of emerging risks and their interactions in the domain of biological risks
- Modelling, predicting and mapping the emergence of aflatoxins in cereals in the EU due to climate change
- Piloting a process for Emerging Risks Identification: Lessons learnt and next steps
- A Framework for Emerging Risks Identification
- Evaluation of a system for the scanning of Eurostat’s data to detect trends in trade
- Development and implementation of a system for the early identification of emerging risks in food and feed
- 15th Scientific Colloquium: EFSA shares progress on its work on emerging risks
- Data collection for the identification of emerging risks related to food and feed.
- Customization of MedISys for the monitoring of food and feed hazards
- EFSA Scientific Colloquium N°16: Emerging Risks in Plant Health: from plant pest interactions to global change
- Establishment and maintenance of routine analysis of data from the Rapid Alert System on Food and Feed
- Collection and routine analysis of import surveillance data with a view to identification of emerging risks
- Report of the EFSA Scientific Cooperation (ESCO) - Working Group on Emerging Risks
- Development of web monitoring systems for the detection of emerging risks