The knowledge, experience and decision-making of EFSA's scientific experts are at the heart of our work.
- EFSA’s Scientific Panels of experts are responsible for the bulk of EFSA’s scientific assessment work. Each of the 10 Panels is dedicated to a different area of the food and feed chain.
- The Scientific Committee has the task of supporting the work of the Panels on cross-cutting scientific issues. It focuses on developing harmonised risk assessment methodologies in fields where EU-wide approaches are not yet defined.
- EFSA staff support the Scientific Panels and Scientific Committee in carrying out most of the Authority's scientific work .
How does EFSA select its Panels?
The membership of EFSA’s Scientific Committee and Panels is renewed every three years.
- At least one year before their re-establishment, EFSA publishes an open call for applications from scientific experts specialised in the fields within the remit of EFSA’s Scientific Committee and Panels.
- EFSA follows a detailed selection procedure including external evaluation, as set out in a Decision of the EFSA Executive Director.
- The Management Board nominates the new Scientific Committee and Panel members, based on a shortlist submitted by the Executive Director