EFSA invites scientific experts to join its Scientific Committee and Panels
The European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) launched a call today to renew the membership of its ANS and CEF Panels, first established in 2008, and to expand the reserve list of its Scientific Committee and its other 8 Scientific Panels. Scientists are invited to respond to the call, which starts on 10 June 2010 and closes on 15 September 2010. Selected applicants will be offered a renewable three-year mandate and will join Europe’s network of leading food safety scientists from summer 2011.
Supported by EFSA’s Risk Assessment Directorate and Scientific Committee & Advisory Forum Unit, the Scientific Committee and Panels are responsible for providing independent scientific advice on all matters related to food and feed safety, nutrition, animal health & welfare as well as plant health protection.
The Scientific Committee and Panels deliver high-quality scientific advice for decision makers across the EU to act and protect consumers, animals, plants and the environment. To date, they have delivered over 1,500 scientific opinions and reports.
EFSA is inviting applications from highly qualified scientists from Europe and beyond, with expertise in a wide range of scientific fields: food additives and nutrient sources; food contact materials; flavourings; toxicology; contaminants in the food chain; biological hazards; GMOs; feedstuffs; plant health and plant protection products; animal health and welfare; dietetic products, allergies, novel foods and nutrition. Applicants should demonstrate experience in carrying out scientific risk assessment and have proven scientific excellence in one, or preferably several, of the fields in EFSA's remit.
The panels being renewed are:
- Panel on food additives and nutrient sources added to food (ANS)
- Panel on Panel on food contact materials, enzymes, flavourings and processing aids (CEF)
The panels for which reserve lists are being expanded are:
- Panel on Animal Health and Welfare (AHAW)
- Panel on Biological Hazards (BIOHAZ)
- Panel on Contaminants in the food chain (CONTAM)
- Panel on Feed Additives and products or substances used in animal feed (FEEDAP)
- Panel on Genetically Modified Organisms (GMO)
- Panel on Dietetic products, nutrition and allergies (NDA)
- Panel on Plant Health (PLH)
- Panel on Plant Protection Products and their residues (PPR)
- Scientific Committee (SC)
These calls have been published in the Official Journal of the European Union.
For media enquiries, please contact:
Lucia de Luca, Press Officer or
Steve Pagani, Head of Press Office
Tel: +39 0521 036 149
Email: Press [at] efsa.europa.eu