The European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) has published today the names, Declarations of Interest and CVs of members of its renewed Scientific Panels on Food Additives and Nutrient Sources Added to Food (ANS) and on Food Contact Materials, Enzymes, Flavourings and Processing Aids (CEF Panel). Members will serve on the respective Panels as of 1 July 2014 for a three-year term.
The nomination of Panel members follows a strict selection procedure. Following a call of interest, applicants were evaluated against defined selection criteria and the selection process was reviewed by an external evaluation committee. Members of the respective panels were appointed by EFSA’s Management Board on 20 March 2014.
Commenting on the composition of the new Panels, Dr. Juliane Kleiner, EFSA’s Head of the Science Strategy and Coordination Department, said: “Our call for experts attracted a very high calibre of scientific expertise in the important areas covered by the ANS and CEF Panels, such as food additives and food contact materials. EFSA extends a warm welcome to the members of the two Panels – both the new faces and those who have been reappointed – and looks forward to a fruitful three years working with them.”
EFSA is currently renewing membership of its Scientific Committee and eight remaining Panels:
- Additives and products or substances used in animal feed (FEEDAP)
- Animal health and welfare (AHAW)
- Biological hazards (BIOHAZ)
- Contaminants in the food chain (CONTAM)
- Dietetic products, nutrition and allergies (NDA)
- Genetically modified organisms (GMO)
- Plant health (PLH)
- Plant protection products and their residues (PPR)
Profiles of Scientific Committee and Panel members in brief:
- Strong expertise present in universities and other public research institutes throughout the European Union as well as from governmental bodies.
- 41% come from universities, 39% from public research institutes and 15% from government bodies (the remaining 5% are retired from such institutions).