62nd Management Board meeting: EFSA Management Board re-elects chair, elects vice chairs, reflects on EFSA Strategy 2020 - Audio available
Members of EFSA’s Management Board unanimously re-elected Sue Davies as Board chair for a second two-year term and elected Piergiuseppe Facelli and Jaana Husu-Kallio as vice-chairs. Board members held a workshop to consider priorities for EFSA’s Strategy 2020 and the future functioning of the Board, its role and responsibilities.
Three new members -- Iňaki Eguileor, András Székács, Robert Van Gorcom -- joined the Management Board for their first meeting after being appointed in June by the Council of the European Union. Four other members were re-appointed by the Council -- Stella Canna Michaelidou , Jan Mousing , Raymond O’Rourke and Pieter Vanthemsche .
The appointments were made by the Council of the European Union following an open call for expressions of interest and were based on a list of candidates submitted by the European Commission following consultation with the European Parliament. The terms on the newly appointed Board members will run until 30 June 2018.
“It will be a huge pleasure to serve again as chair, especially as there will be lots of important work coming to the Board in this period, in particular the EFSA Strategy,” Sue Davies said.
Management Board workshop:
On the eve of the meeting, Board members held a workshop to exchange reflections on the preparation for the blueprint of EFSA’s Strategy for 2020. As part of the discussions, members discussed the progress EFSA has made, through a series of projects and initiatives, to address the Board’s recommendations following the 2011 external evaluation.
Members addressed how EFSA can leverage its existing strengths and take advantage of opportunities in the future, and considered EFSA’s role in relation to the challenges facing the food safety system in coming years.
Among other discussions, members reviewed the functioning of the Board, its governance responsibilities and ways to ensure it is fulfilling its role in an efficient and effective way.
At the Board meeting, members endorsed EFSA’s continuous improvement initiatives which include a number of projects aimed at advancing EFSA’s strategic objectives outlined in its Single Programming Document – i.e. EFSA’s fitness for purpose, sustainability and trust.
Three ongoing initiatives are:
- a Quality Management project aimed at creating a comprehensive and coherent quality management system across EFSA compatible with the Internal Control Standards of the European Commission. The project is expected to be completed in 2016;
- a project and resource management approach to enhance EFSA’s ability to set priorities, harmonise working practices, provide more clarity on the way resources are allocated and used and rationalise IT systems. The project was launched in 2012 and will be rolled out in 2015;
- the PROMETHEUS project aims to further strengthen EFSA’s methodological rigour and transparency in carrying out scientific assessments. The project aims to increase consistency and harmonisation across EFSA methods for dealing with evidence. The project was launched in 2014 and will be developed over the next two years.
For media enquiries, please contact:
EFSA Media Relations office
Tel: +39 0521 036 149
Email: Press [at] efsa.europa.eu
Audiocast and documents
- Opening of the meeting by the European Commission
- Election of the Chair and Vice-Chairs of the Board
- Nomination of the Audit Committee
- Adoption of the draft agenda
- EFSA progress report
- Report from the Scientific Committee
- Continuous improvement initiatives
- Update on the procedure for the renewal of the Scientific Committee and eight Scientific Panel
- Amendment budget 2014
- Amendments to the Art. 36 list of organisations
- Feedback from the previous Audit Committee
- Update on the changes in DG SANCO
- EFSA’s 2014 budget execution and transfers
 View biographies at the following link: https://www.efsa.europa.eu/en/people/mbmembers