Request for public consultation
EFSA’s Biological Hazards (BIOHAZ) Panel has published for public consultation a revision of the joint guidance document of the BIOHAZ and former AFC panels for the submission of applications on the substances to be used for removing microbial contamination from the surface of foods of animal origin.
The guidance includes data and examples of study designs for the evaluation of these substances with regard to their safety for consumers and the environment and their effectiveness in decreasing the level of microbial contamination. The guidance also indicates how the evaluation of the possible development of antimicrobial resistance triggered by decontamination agents should be carried out.
The information and data requested in this guidance concerning toxicological aspects (chapter 6) reflect what was previously indicated in the joint AFC/BIOHAZ guidance document published in 2006.
Interested parties are invited to submit written comments by 22nd February 2010. Please use exclusively the electronic template provided with the documents to submit comments and refer to the line and page numbers. Please note that comments submitted by e-mail or by post cannot be taken into account and that a submission will not be considered if it is:
- submitted after the deadline set out in the call
- presented in any form other than what is provided for in the instructions and template
- not related to the contents of the document
- contains complaints against institutions, personal accusations, irrelevant or offensive statements or material
- is related to policy or risk management aspects, which is out of the scope of EFSA's activity.
EFSA will assess all comments from interested parties which are submitted in line with the criteria above. The comments will be further considered by the EFSA BIOHAZ Panel and taken into consideration if found to be relevant.